Speaker: Susan St. Angelo, Daily Money Manager and Entrepreneur
Susan St. Angelo will be our June Encore Career: What’s Your Next speaker, wrapping up the seasonal Encore Program Series. On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 3pm, Susan will be presenting, “How to Successfully Navigate Changing from One Career to Another Career.”
Are you thinking about what life might look like in your next chapter of life? Have you thought about owning a business? If this sounds like you, then there’s no better time to start planning for it. "When I decided to walk away from a successful career to start my own business, people thought I was crazy to leave," says Susan. "I thought I was crazy to stay since I was turning 50 and knew there was more to life than the life I was living. So, I started preparing myself for the change I would undergo, she says."
Here are some things to consider before you start or buy a business:
- Discuss what you would like to do with your family BEFORE you do it and get their buy-in.
- Can I start my business and work part-time before I leave my career?
- Can you live without an income as you get your business off the ground?
- What are my start-up costs? Assess your finances both debts and assets.
- Collaborate with your CPA, attorney, Financial Planner, and banker. Make sure they are included and can be of assistance in your desire to start and run a business.
- Look at what you are giving up and not just your income—social outlet, benefits, job structure (9-5PM), family commitments.
- Are you going solo or partnering with someone to venture out into business? Define your roles and responsibilities.
- Are you organized and able to wear a lot of hats or do you need other people to assist you with some of your tasks as you start and develop your business plans?
- Find a network of like-minded people who will offer support and encouragement.
Susan enjoys helping new Encore entrepreneurs to problem-solve and reduce daily stress, as well as consulting with clients on starting their own businesses and organizing legal documents. To register, click here.